Chemistry I Can Statements
- I can describe and practice proper lab safety and know where safety equipment is.
- I can write atomic symbols and names for essential elements.
- I can measure (with sig figs), distinguish between accuracy & precision and convert between SI metric prefixes.
- I can identify physical and chemical properties and physical and chemical changes.
- I can classify matter into elements, compounds, homogenous mixtures, and heterogeneous mixtures.
- I can define density and use the formula for density to calculate density, mass, and volume.
- I can write formulas and names for ionic compounds using charges (oxidation numbers).
- I can write formulas and names for molecular (covalent) compounds using the prefix system.
- I can balance chemical equations.
- I can change between a word equation and a chemical symbol equation.
- I can identify an equation as one of the five types of reactions.